Using cotton yarn is a good idea when you are crocheting something that may need to absorb water or you want your project to be nice and sturdy. Cotton yarn is also amazing to use for spring and summer garments as it makes the fabric very breathable.
In this post, I have rounded up several free crochet patterns that you will enjoy crocheting with cotton yarn! Enjoy!
- Washcloths with Caron Cotton Cakes – These washcloths made with Caron Cotton Cakes are so soft and although the cakes are a cotton blend, they work very well as washcloths. If you are making them as dishcloths/wiping counters I recommend you use 100% cotton as the Caron Cotton Cakes do not absorb liquid as well when wiping a surface.
- Coastal Indoor Rug – This rug is super cute to have indoors and using the self striping Caron Cotton Cakes gives it a fun element! The fun tassel fringe on either side of the rug are super easy to make and creates a great added touch!
- Double Sided Scrubby – These durable scrubbies are great for the bath and the kitchen! You can use Red Heart Scrubby yarn to give it more scrubbing power for the kitchen. I love mine and throw them in the washing machine to reuse!
- The Roxy Bag – Using cotton yarn for bags is so great especially if you want something sturdy and long lasting! You won’t get any piling or fuzz from the cotton yarn and it always washes up nicely when needed. For this bag, I Love This Cotton! was used which is so soft and wonderful to work with.
- Bloomin Scrubby – This cute little scrubby would be wonderful to use in the kitchen! Nylon net scrubbers can be found very cheap at the dollar store, but they fall apart quickly! This little crochet holder will keep it in tact so you can use it over and over!
- Cupcake Scrubby and Mitt – These cupcakes are so adorable! Make the scrubby and mitt set for the kitchen or the bath! I think toddlers and young kids would love to have a cupcake scrubby to wash up with in the bath!
- Cotton Bowl Cozy – I love this idea! It keeps your hands from getting burnt from a hot bowl – Perfect for hot soups or hot meals you want to eat away from the dinner table.
- Houseplant Hanger – This little hanger is great for small plants that would you like to display in your home. These are especially great for small plant clippings that you are propagating!
- Crochet Placemat – This crochet placemat has gorgeous stitch definition and texture! It is made with just one skein of the Sugarwheel self striping cakes of cotton yarn!
- Fold Over Crossbody Bag – This bag is great for when you only need to carry a few things! There are even instructions on how to create a lining with pockets to keep items like phone and sunglasses in just the right spot.
- Double Thick Hot pad – This pretty hot pad is made with two sides – double the thickness! So you definitely won’t have to worry about any heat ruining your tables or countertops when you bring out your delicious meals from the oven.
- Spring Gingham Hand Towel – If you’ve been wanting to try the plaid/gingham technique, this would be a great small project for you to get your feet wet! Plus it’s super adorable and would look great in your kitchen!
- Mason Jar and Soda Cozies – I absolutely love that there are little handles on this to slip your hand through! So easy to hold your drinks during cookouts and BBQs, plus keep your hands dry from the sweat the drink may accumulate. Genius!
- Tissue Pouch – I don’t know about you, but I always carry around tissues with me! Especially when my seasonal allergies are in full swing. Single packet tissues aren’t good for the environment with the extra plastic and they can be pricier compared to getting a large box of tissues! This reusable tissue pouch if perfect for tissues on the run!
- Honeycomb Scrubs Washcloth – If you’ve wanted to try Tunisian crochet or want to learn new Tunisian crochet stitches, this is the perfect project for you! The gorgeous textured stitch will be perfect for washcloths and dishcloths!
- Belle Heart Coaster – These darling little coasters will be perfect to set your cold drinks on in the spring and summertime! Since they are made of cotton, they will be sure to absorb all the sweat from your cold drinks.
- Joni Topper – This fun top is perfect for layering in the warmer months! I love the racer back detail on the back and the fringe!
- Lightweight Crochet Top – This top design is so beautiful and I absolutely love that it’s flattering on all sizes! You don’t see enough designs modeled on all different body types and this one is incredible!
- Poncho Style Top – Isn’t this top so lacy and pretty?! This would be glorious to wear in the summer!
- Laikini Cardigan – This gorgeous cardigan is light weight and perfect to throw over a swim suit at the beach or a beautiful layer for evening activities.
- Summertide Slip ons – Have you tried crocheting on flip flops yet? I love the idea of these and they would be so cute to wear during the summer!
- Boho Bag – If this doesn’t scream boho vibes, I don’t know what does! This bag is so trendy and fun, perfect for summer activities!
- March Market Bag – This bag is comprised of a number of different stitches that come together beautifully! If you love reusable market bags, this is the one to make!
- Sea Blossom Dishcloths – I love a good sized dish cloth and these are a great size! Not only can they serve as dishcloths, but they look to be the perfect size to wrap around the bottom of warm bowls!
- Bursting with Stars Bag – Isn’t this bag so colorful and fun?! I love a statement piece and bright colors. This would be so fun for summer!
- Wristwatch Strap – I’ve never thought about crocheting a strap for a watch, but I absolutely love this idea! You can customize the colors to your liking and it looks so dainty and elegant – it’s perfect!
- Crochet Bracelet – These bracelets are so beautiful! I think they would make wonderful gifts and would sell great at craft fairs!
- Boho Crochet Wrap – This wrap is so beautifully lacy and delicate, it will dress up any outfit during the warmer months! You can also wear it as a triangle scarf for a different style.
- Cover Up Infinite Sarong – The reason this sarong is infinite is because it can be worn many ways! Perfect for the beach to compliment all swim suits!
- Calla Lily Cardigan – My favorite concept of this cardigan is that it can be worn two ways! You can wear it one way so it’s cropped and shorter and you can wear it another way to have it draped down past your bottom! Either way you wear it, this cardigan is beautiful.
- Bohemian Vest – This summery vest can be worn in so many ways! Wear it with a jeans and tee as pictured or wear it over a dress for date night!
- Porto Cotton Tunic – If this doesn’t scream summer vacation, I don’t know what does! Such a fun and flirty tunic to throw on top of swim suits or shorts and a tank!
- Bubbles and Goldfish Teether – This baby teether is so adorable and perfect for baby shower gifts! I love all the vibrant colors used for this.
- Freeze Pop Cozy – Does anyone else wish they had these growing up as a kid?! Bye bye cold fingers! Such a great idea and reusable!
- Light Saber Ice Pop Holders – Another cozy for ice pops, but more fun!
- Fish Beach Bag – How adorable is this little bag for kids?! Throw in a towel and some sunblock and they’re ready to kick it at the pool or beach!
I hope you find something you will enjoy crocheting with cotton yarn! Let me know which one is your favorite in the comments below!
So many project ideas – so little time? Be sure to pin the image below by clicking on it and then saving it to your crochet board on Pinterest to save it for later!
Thank you Maria for some great summer projects to try, my hooks are gonna be busy