Crochet scrap blankets are the best way to use up your scrap yarn!
If you’re like me, you have a lot of scrap yarns, odds and ends, and random skeins that you just aren’t using. I’m guilty for buying just one skein of a color I really like with no plans for it and hoarding all of my scrap yarn because I don’t want it to go to waste.
That ends up with me having totes and bags of random yarn that I have no idea what to do with. Rather than letting them collect dust, I made my first scrap blanket this year (2020) and it definitely won’t be my last!
Below I’ve rounded up 12 of the best and most unique scrap blankets I have found. Grab your scrap yarn and get hookin!
- Stitch Sampler Scrapghan
- Scrapghan Stash Buster Blanket
- Happy Lark Scrap Blanket
- Onward and Upword Scrap Afghan
Tips on Crocheting a Scrap Blanket
- Round up all of the scrap yarn you have that you want to use for your blanket.
- If you have partial skeins or tangled messes, use a yarn winder to cake them up. This prevents any untangling along the way when you are crocheting. You can also just wind them up into yarn balls if you don’t have a yarn winder.
- You may have different amounts of scrap yarn and depending on the pattern, very small amounts will not work. Figure out how much you need of each color by crocheting one row of the pattern and weigh it on a kitchen scale. Now you will know how much you will need for each row. Of course, if you don’t mind color changes in the middle of rows, this will not apply.
More Crochet Blanket Patterns
If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out my post on the best crochet stitches for blankets. You can really make any blanket into a scrap blanket! Just use scrap yarn and make it fun!