Handmade crochet baby blankets make the perfect baby shower gift or for that newborn in your life! I’ve rounded up 20 free crochet baby blanket patterns from awesome crochet designers as well as some tips and information on making a crochet baby blanket.
What Yarn You Should Use for a Crochet Baby Blanket
When you go to your local yarn store or craft store, you may find a part of the yarn aisle dedicated to baby yarns. These yarns are typically a lighter weight and machine washable. I think we can all agree that having a machine washable yarn is important for a baby blanket!
However, you don’t have to to choose a yarn that is specifically labeled for babies. There are many other yarns out there that will suffice.
As long as the yarn is machine washable and is a hypoallergenic material, you are well on your way.
I recommend a worsted/aran weight acrylic yarn that is easily machine washed. Acrylic yarns tend to hold up better to several washes and is typically the most readily available and a cheaper option.
Amount of Yarn Needed for a Crochet Baby Blanket
Although this is a loaded question, my answer is around 1,000 yards of worsted weight yarn.
Factors include crochet stitch/pattern being used, hook size, size of blanket being made, tension of the crocheter, and type of yarn being used.
After making several baby blankets over the years, I’ve found myself use around 1,000 yards for all the blankets I’ve made – including my granny square blankets with appliques.
If you are following a specific crochet baby blanket pattern, the amount of yarn *should* be listed in the materials part of the pattern.
Crochet Baby Blanket Size
A crochet baby blanket is typically 30″ x 36″ or 36″ x 36″.
Crochet is an art, so measurements do not have to be exact and it can even be up to the expectant parent/parent what size they prefer the blanket to be and if they would rather a square or rectangle.
A rectangular size can make more sense for strollers, car seats, etc. A square blanket may be more useful for spreading on a flat surface for the baby to lay on.
Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- Strawberry Cone Baby Blanket by Daisy Cottage Designs
- Theo Blanket by TL Yarn Crafts
- Modern Granny Stitch Blanket by Make and Do Crew
- C2C Bobble Blanket by Maria’s Blue Crayon
- Oceanside Blanket by Daisy Cottage Designs
- Sweet Granny Baby Blanket by TL Yarn Crafts
- Mandala Blanket by Maria’s Blue Crayon
- Squared-Off Chevron Blanket by Daisy Farm Crafts
- Woodland Granny Square Blanket
- Llama and Cactus Granny Square Blanket
- Farm Granny Square Blanket
- Ocean Granny Square Blanket
- Marshmallow Blanket by Crochet Dreamz
- Puppy C2C Blanket by Repeat Crafter Me
- Hudson Hexagon Blanket by The Blue Elephants
- Unicorn Bricks Baby Blanket by My Hobby is Crochet